This recipe can be spiced less or more, including adding a variety of other savory herbs. Cottage cheese or sour cream as part of the liquid give it an extra touch of zest. A bonus is that it is virtually a no-fail bread recipe. This zesty low-fat bread to is perfect to accompany pasta or Mediterranean dishes.
Bread Machine Settings
- Set the machine to the 1 loaf, or small batch setting.
- Select White or Wheat, depending upon the type of flour desired.
- Select the Dough setting. This makes the machine stop after the kneading and first rise.
Note: Machines may vary, but the settings above are standard on most major brands.
Extra Easy Homemade Savory Bread Recipe
Place the following 2 ingredients directly into bread machine mixing unit :
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup minus 2 tbs. low-fat cottage cheese or low-fat sour cream
Measure the following ingredients into large measuring cup and stir together:
- 2 cups white or wheat flour, as preferred
- 1 tbs. each of sugar, dried oregano, crushed rosemary, and crushed dried red pepper
- 2 tsp dry yeast
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- Small sprinkle of dried yellow mustard
1. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in bread machine mixing unit.
2. Place unit into bread machine. Close lid.
3. Select start.
4. The machine timer will indicate when kneading and first rise will finish.
Shaping, Rising & Baking Savory Homemade Bread
1. After removing finished dough from bread machine, knead by hand on floured surface for 1-2 minutes, working in more flour if dough is sticky. Shape well kneaded dough into long, narrow French bread type loaf. Place on greased baking sheet or baking stone. Top can be brushed with olive oil or dusted with cornmeal. Cover with lightweight cloth dishtowel and let rise in warm, non-drafty place until size doubles, usually about 1 hour.
2. Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 min. Cool at least 10 minutes before slicing.
3. Slice diagonally for traditional French bread type slices. 12 servings or slices
Homemade Bread: Always a Crowd Pleaser
Tasty enough to stand on its own, this savory homemade bread is especially good spread with garlic butter or grilled with garlic butter and Parmesan cheese. Flavorful and pungent, it is really a hit when served with spaghetti. White or wheat, this zesty bread also makes a great grilled cheese sandwich!